Biologics (immunomodulators) target specific cells and pathways that cause allergic inflammation linked to asthma.
What you need to know:
- Delivered by injection or IV in a doctor’s office
- Approved as add-on therapy for patients who have specific phenotypes of severe asthma not controlled by inhaled corticosteroids
- Omalizumab (Xolair®) targets IgE antibodies that cause allergic reactions; also approved to treat chronic hives; ages 6 years and up
- Benralizumab and mepolizumab target interleukin-5 (IL-5), which signals overproduction of eosinophilic blood cells that cause lung inflammation.
- Reslizumab (Cinquair®) is a monoclonal antibody that lowers blood levels of eosinophils; ages 18 years and up